Friday, June 13, 2014

Dads 58th birthday!

Yesterday, June 12, would have been my dad's 58th  birthday.  I was trying to count it up this morning with Randan,  and I was steel to tired to get my brain to work but, if I did it right he was 53 when he died.
The year he died I thought it would be fun to get his siblings and parents with us, (Mom, Christine and family, Sean and family, Me and family) and  have a birthday party.  We as family's bought family gifts,  and played musical chairs with the gifts. We had a BBQ out on moms back lawn,  and played the game.  Over the years it has evolved to where we would take balloons to the cemetery and sing happy birthday then let the balloons go, because it was in the afternoon not everyone could come and if they did it was very rushed, so this year mom decided to have a BBQ in the evening at her house then afterword we could go to the cemetery and let the balloons go. There were steel some people not able to be in attendance, but it was a lot better.  In my opinion this is what we need to do every year if we are going to keep it up.   
I have thought that maybe this might be a little like a ritual and not sure if that is kosher with gospel standards, but at the same time it is fun to get together as family and remember.  Also keep up.  I have mentioned it before, but the older we all are getting the less and less of these fun thing we do.  I see my Mom and Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles all in a different light the older I get there is more of a friendship then a niece and adult relationship. Especially since I have had my own kids. Maybe its like my mom has always said: " There is a time, place,  and season for everything."   
 

1 comment: