Friday, February 1, 2013

4 Years!

   I don't have a picture to put with this one and I wish I did. Today is the 4 year anniversary of my father's death.  My mom called to remind me, so I have been thinking about it. Also my mother-in-law asked us what the other day what some of our traditions were growing up so I thought about it and that made me think of my Father. I remember that in the spring and fall we would always do a yard clean. in the spring clean all  the weeds and burn them, mow the lawn for the first time (when us kids got old enough to mow we hated the first mow cuz that meant we were signed up rot the next 3 to 5 months) rake up trash. and get  the garden ready to pant and plant the garden and flowers in mom's flower pots. Now of coarse this didn't happen all in one day. It took a few weekends and days but we always did it as a family. In the fall we would burn trash and leaves. pick up all the things that would get ruined with the snow and find some shelter for them to go. My dad loved  to do this. I think it was a sense of organization  and accomplishment which he loved. I know the feeling. I think that is a trait I inherited from him. I love to see things clean and organized.
   He loved to camp and fish mostly fish but steal love to do both. I remember lots of summers doing these activities some of my most cherished memories are tied to the summer camp trips. I remember burning my chin on a gas lantern and when I went to rub it the skin came off. I remember fishing in the evening and he would be so busy helping us that he never got to fish himself. Looking back and now knowing his love for fishing that makes me feel bad.
   He was a very hard worker he was a perfectionist. He did anything and everything till he got it right. He was very intelligent.
   I know my Father had a testimony of the gospel. He truly love being a member of the church.  I am grateful for this knowledge and example.
I know that with both of my kids I have felt his presence. I have asked Reagan if she and Grandpa Mike had fun in heaven and she smiled at me. I take that as a YES!
There are days when I miss him very much, but I am very grateful for the knowledge of the gospel and the atonement, also for the time I was able to spend with him here on earth.


   

2 comments:

  1. I like that you asked Reagan, that's cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you should feel bad that he didn't get to fish because he was busy helping you guys...I'm sure he loved you guys a little more than he loved fishing. :) What great memories!

    ReplyDelete